image




I get lost sometimes,,,,,,not even sure how I ended finding this but the story goes like this…….I was in Phuket town and one day wandering around I was getting hungry and while many other backpackers hit more open popular spots I saw this small restaurant, filled with bric a brac. I went in, sat down, not having a clue what to order–and the thrill of that is amazing-, anyhow the above gentleman knew a few english words and we talked about cooking, I ate what I think was version of tom yum or tom kha, but I am not really sure. Anyhow it was quite filling and I was trying to make my way though it as cars, buses, and scooters zipped by in a flurry of colour and sound. As I plowed through it a guy walks in sits next to me and orders. The cook goes to work, routinely doing his dance, and voila a few minutes later there is this steamimg huge bowl of noodles, dark broth and many other ingredients plopped down in front of the man. He begins and as I slurp the remains of my bowl I ask the cook exactly what that guy had? As I am now writing this I am not sure of the whole conversation but the gist was that it was a worker’s dish, cheap, filling, with blood and odd bits. I said I would be back tomorrow for a bowl. So I did, it was great, hearty, beefy, in the sense of I could feel the energy of heat and blood. So why the fuck am I writing this today?Well, I got lost an hour ago in Phuket town. Must have been reading something that triggered the memory. I got to thinking about the cook above and the restaurant and eventually after searching for it I found it on google maps but there were only a few pictures and none of the interior. I then came across a website about phuket town and began reading about local restaurants and boom a picture of the cook above and my memory was refreshed, staring at me many years later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karla.