Not sure if this has been anywhere before...an early group email I think from say 2005!


So, I drove across the island with quite a bit of anticipation (even though my ass was dunch by grand falls) at seeing the small town I spent many a weekend in. Bellburns nestles near the shore past Daniels' harbour. As we drove, racing to catch the last ferry crossing at St. Barbe to Blanc Sablon, I was quite excited approaching the town and to see if our cabin was still upright. What a letdown as I did not realize after all these years that the highway no longer went through town but behind it skirting the old main road and crossing the brook at one of my old fishing holes. This hole is still a fine memory. Big rock out in the middle of Bellburns brook behind aunt maggie and uncle sam's house and farm. That trout would tease me, sticking out it's head or tail and then scurry back under the rock as my shadow cast down. I still wonder if anyone caught it. As the day wore on back then I would go to uncle nim's place and try to catch the trout in his well. Never did get that one either.

So now, day  two on the Tuvaq and it has been quite relaxing compared to other ships of late. Firstly, I have a helper in the galley who has been here for years (actually has her own wooden sign on cabin door) and does a lot of baking. So pressure off as that was the first thing asked on that chilly night climbing up the rope ladder to the ship from the workboat `do ye bake homemade bread by`. That may change if she gets off as crew change approaches. 

The crew, while all meat and potatoes, are easy going and the skipper stays away for the most part and wants last meal, supper done by 530!

For me it is pool (icy labrador water) and sauna time after a bit of a work out in the exercise room. Remember though, if you take  a paperback into the sauna it will fall apart with each turn of the page!

After three days sailing we reach Pangnirtung(check spelling) around 730 at night. What a desolate chilly entry to the town. Ominous mountains bear down on it, watching through veiled dark clouds. It was quite the sail up Cumberland sound. Lots of icebergs on the way, and in the sound dodging bergy bits all the time. These bits a little bigger than what we see at home. Keep thinking I will see a polar bear swimming by but no luck thus far.


Meals so far include roast leg of lamb, lemon fried potatoes and sweet pepper rice;baked honey peppercorn ham with au gratin spuds, various homemade soups(like to do a new one each day, whole hitch); cod tongues and scruncheons, toutons and baked beans. My only let down is that there is no butter on board.

Into town a couple of days ago. Quiet, on mucky dirt roads. We are asked for booze and pot in the local store and it was quite the trip to see a 24 of coca cola going for 88 bucks!

Yesterday at anchor I was in the galley when a deckhand came in and said someone wanted me off the starboard side. i went to check it out and the guy wanted to know if I wanted local fresh arctic char. I yelled down, how much and he replied with a universal sign for drinking and yelled back `two mickies`.

Of course I had neither booze or cash for char. Later I did earn one and a half char by cleaning a few caught off the aft by one of the crew.

Interesting thing on these trips are the nuances you see in crew and galley.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karla.